Thursday 17 March 2011

Brain Filters

So... today I'm thinking about the stuff I really shouldn't say, but somehow by the time I realise it's a mistake, it's already left my mouth.

Does this ring any bells? The times that I have tend to screw up are in two main categories (what an aspie, categorising my social errors!!) First is when I'm very tired, or stressed, and my brain isn't working fast enough to stop me from saying stuff I should keep to myself.

Second is when I'm relaxed and enjoying myself, and I forget that I can't just say something funny and clever on the spur of the moment, because I end up hurting people's feelings.

Sometimes I do get away with it, and I do have a reputation for having a very dry sense of humour among those who know me well. Those who don't know me well often don't realise I'm joking.

The one time I never screw up verbally is with my kids, I know I can't use adult humour on them, even if my oldest is a sarcasm convert, they can't take it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you. And if you don't respond quickly enough sometimes (because of learned behavior to think first) that is seen as not caring! tiring sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete